Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Spring Semester 2011 FINALLY in full swing!!

Spring Semester began very slowly!  Our first week of school was snowed out, like the last week of school last semester.  We are still struggling with a new online teaching platform.  If the instructors are confused, you KNOW the students are confused!  Plus, I have taken on a ridiculously HUGE overload this semester.  My boss's boss warned me, but I told her confidently, I'll be fine.  But, after a few very late nights (like 3:30 in the morning late), I'm not so confident anymore (why do I always feel I need a learning experience, why can't I just take the advice of others who have been there done that???).

I have to tell you, though, that I love my students more and more each semester.  There are always the same complaints (why do I have to figure out how to do this when you can just walk me through it AND why do I have to come to class OR why do we not have more classtime).  But you know, just like getting used to the idiosyncracies (sp?) of your significant other and loving him for them, I now love hearing those same ole complaints.  You just shake your head and say, yep, life is rough.  If I could download the learning to your brain, I would, but in accounting you generally have to learn by doing, and you can't learn by doing if I do it for you.  :-)

We are beginning a VITA site this year also.  VITA stands for "Volunteer Income Tax Assistance" and it is an IRS-sponsored program whereby IRS-certified volunteers will prepare (FOR FREE) tax returns for taxpayers whose income is less than $49,000.  It's an awesome program, and talk about a WIN-WIN!!  Not only do most of our students qualify for the free tax preparation, but the students who volunteer to prepare the tax returns will gain invaluable experience (soft skills - those skills that you can't teach in a classroom), not to mention the valuable mention of the experience and the certification on their resumes!

So far things have really gone well for this program, I am so proud of the students who have decided to help out.

Well, I am REALLY behind on grading, so ta-ta for now.....I heard another version of the ancient accounting blessing (May your debits equal your credits), which is: may your assets exceed your liabilities!  I love my students!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment